The Flood Company recently travelled the short distance from Huddersfield to Hebden Bridge to install flood barriers at the Hebden Bridge Picture House following its recovery from the 2015 Boxing Day floods.
The 90 year old Picture House was forced to close for six months due to the flooding that wreaked havoc in the Calderdale town over the festive period last year.
After a six month restoration, largely carried out by volunteers, the Picture House reopened in the summer and has now taken action to reduce the risk of flooding in the future with the installation of our very own Hydroshield Pro Flood Barriers.
The cinema first opened its doors in 1921 and is one of the last civic owned cinemas in Britain. Originally boasting over 900 seats its first screening was a double bill of Torn Sails and The Iron Stair, with the Picture House rapidly becoming the main place of entertainment for the weavers, mill-workers, and other residents of Hebden Bridge and the upper Calder Valley. It has been in use as a cinema ever since.
In the late 1960s, when many of the mills had closed, the Picture House nearly suffered the fate of so many town cinemas and was very close to becoming a carpet warehouse.
In 1999, the future of the Picture House again appeared to be at risk when the site was earmarked for development. A strong community campaign Friends of the Picture House rapidly mobilised and development plans were rejected, and the future of the Picture House secured.