Flood Barrier for Loading Bay
The most common type of flood barrier for loading bays in the UK is a demountable aluminium flood barrier. An alternative option is a hinged flood gate, however a hinged flood gate will require be permanently fixed to the building, where as a flood barrier will only be installed in a flood event. The other advantage of a flood barrier over a gate is a flood barrier does not require any threshold, where as a hinged flood gate will have a 50-80mm threshold. This can cause issues if you have a busy warehouse.
Another advantage of a flood barrier is it is the most cost effective way to control flooding into a loading bay or warehouse. Loading bays provide a large area for water to enter the commercial building, and it may not be possible for a gate to be manufactured to the aperture size.
Flood Control for Loading Bays
For large openings, the best solution is the Buffalo HD Aluminium Barrier. The HD flood barrier is thicker than the standard Buffalo Barrier, and comes in 400mm high panels. Although the UK flood barrier standard is 600mm, the HD barrier comes in 400mm increments, therefore you can have greater protection than the UK standard at 800mm, 1200mm or 1600mm.
A demountable post requires a 300mm deep hole to be core drilled into the ground, with a diameter of 150mm. In normal conditions, a cap conceals the hole and will be flush with the surface. The demountable post is installed like a light bulb i.e. you unlock the cap, and then put the post in and turn 180 degrees and the demountable post fixes into place. The demountable aluminium post can be stored in your loading bay with the flood boards.
The ground should be a solid concrete where possible. If the loading bay is likely to have heavy use, we would recommend installing a metal plate also to prevent the concrete from cracking.
Loading bay doors come in a range of shapes and sizes, therefore the demountable aluminium flood barrier is the best solution because it can be manufactured to any width. There is no limit to the number of demountable posts required.
Types of fixings
The fixing can be in the loading bay door reveal or on the face of the loading bay. You need to consider the following when fixing a flood barrier to a loading bay:
- Where can the upright channels be fixed to the wall?
- Are there any obstacles in the line of the barrier?
- Is the ground condition flat and without cracks?
A demountable aluminium flood barrier requires a smooth, flat threshold to seal against. You need to check the ground is in good condition before installing the flood barrier. If there is greater than 5mm undulation in the ground, then we would recommend laying a fresh concrete plinth.
If the loading bay is used frequently, we would recommend setting a metal plate on top of the concrete plinth to protect against cracking.
Advantages of flood barriers for loading bays
- Aluminium flood barriers are bespoke made and can be manufactured to any length (with the use of demountable posts). The benefit of this is the barrier is designed to fit your loading bay perfectly, and ensuring effective flood control.
- Cost effective flood control – demountable flood barriers provide the most cost effective solution to protect your loading bay from flooding. Alternatives, such as the self closing flood barrier are x5-x8 more costly.
- Quick and easy to deploy – in a flood event, you need a solution that can be quick to implement and control the flood waters. A demountable aluminium flood barrier can be installed in a few minutes, even with a demountable post.
Do you have an enquiry? CONTACT US on email@example.com or 01484 505509.
Get a quote for this product
Flood barriers are a bespoke product. For specific pricing information please complete the form below and we will contact you to provide a quote.