What floodgate is best for my garage?
If the property is your house, the flood gate will be the Buffalo Aluminium Flood Gate or the HD Aluminium flood gate. The first step to determine is to take a brick to brick measurement to determine the right flood control product for your garage. Once you have taken the measurement, your garage flood gate options are:
Up to 1.8m Wide
The Buffalo Aluminium Gate for garages up to 1.8m wide. At this width, no demountable post is required. The flood barrier comes in 200mm increments, therefore you can tailor the height the requirements of your garage. The most common flood gate in the UK is 1.8m wide, 600mm high (the recommended UK standard for flood protection).
Between 1.8m-2.4m Wide
With a garage width of 1.8-2.4m, the best solution is the Buffalo HD Aluminium Gate. The HD floodgate is thicker than the standard Buffalo Barrier, and comes in 400mm high panels. Therefore, the HD Aluminium Flood Gate does not need a demountable post unless your garage is wider than 2.4m. Although the UK floodgate standard is 600mm, the HD barrier comes in 400mm increments, therefore you can have greater protection that the UK standard at 800mm, 1200mm or 1600mm.
It is also worth noting that garage floor levels are often below the level of the house, therefore the additional 200mm offered by the HD version is popular. You may need 800mm flood protection on your garage, and a 600mm flood gate for a door. For more information of on flood gates for doors click the link.
Over 2.4m Wide
Above 2.4m wide you will need a demountable post, which will require a 300mm deep hole, be core drilled into the ground. The diameter of the hole will be 150mm. The ground should be a solid concrete where possible. If the garage is likely to have heavy use, we would recommend installing a metal plate also to prevent the concrete from cracking.
The demountable aluminium post works like a light bulb i.e. you unlock the cap, and then put the post in and turn 180 degrees and the demountable post fixes into place. The demountable aluminium post can be stored in your garage with the flood boards.
Garage doors come in a range of shapes and sizes, therefore the demountable aluminium flood gate is the best solution because it can be manufactured to any width. There is no limit to the number of demountable posts required.
Garage Door Flood Gate Height
The height of the floodgate will depend on your homes location and flood risk. If you have had a previous flood, we would recommend taking the previous flood level as your base and then add additional protection (200-300mm is normal).
If the required height is over 800mm, we would recommend the Buffalo HD Aluminium Barrier to protect your garage. In the UK, the most common type of floodgate for garages is the Buffalo HD Aluminium Gate.
Types Of Fixings
The fixing can be in the garage door reveal or on the face of the garage. You need to consider the following when fixing a flood gate to a garage:
- Ensure the garage door can open without getting caught on the fixing
- Ensure there are no obstructions to the gate
- Can the gate be fit inside the garage? This means you can leave the barrier in place if you are on holiday.
A demountable aluminium flood gate requires a smooth, flat threshold to seal against. You need to check the ground is in good condition before installing the floodgate. If there is greater than 5mm undulation in the ground, then we would recommend laying a fresh concrete plinth.
If the garage is used frequently, we would recommend setting a metal plate on top of the concrete plinth to protect against cracking.
Advantages Of Flood Gates For Garages
- Aluminium floodgates are bespoke made and can be manufactured to any length (with the use of demountable posts). The benefit of this is the gate is designed to fit your garage perfectly, and ensuring effective flood control.
- Cost effective flood control – demountable floodgates provide the most cost effective solution to protect your garage from flooding. Alternatives, such as the self-closing flood barrier are x5-x8 more costly.
- Quick and easy to deploy – in a flood event, you need a solution that can be quick to implement and control the flood waters. A demountable aluminium flood barrier can be installed in a few minutes, even with a demountable post.